Monday, January 21, 2008

2007: The Year that Was

1. What did you do in 2007 that you have never done before?
Kept a journal.
Quit biting my fingernails.

2.Did you keep your New Years Resolutions and will you make more for 2008?
The above two were my resolutions for 2007. 2008-bigger home and new job.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth in 2007?
We had Mason on August 28th.

4.Did anyone close to die in 2007?
Nope-but I know a few who I would like to see pass on.

5.What countries did you visit this year?
Idaho-numerous times. Believe me, it is a different country. Horrible drivers and an overrated football team at BSU.

6.What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A job-one that pays better, keeps me off the road so much, and provides more satisfaction.

7.What day will be etched in your memory and why?
January 14th-the day Barb told me she was pregnant. and August 28th, the day Mason was born.

8.What was your biggest struggle this year?
Getting over the thoughts that I have an MBA and am stuck in job that keeps me from being a better provider.

9.What was your biggest achievement this year?
Focusing more on my children while at home. Holly has become the apple of my eye.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury in 2007?
Nope-just getting older. Bones really do creak.

11.What was the best thing you bought this year?
Guitar Hero-probably the best video game ever. I am living out my 8th grade fantasies now. Having been raised in such a Puritanical household, I was forbidden to play the devil's instruments.

12.Who's behavior merited celebration?
Barb-she has taken a lot of crap this year from a certain homeowner in our HOA-she is strong and firm. She also has to deal with 3 little ones while I am away staying in nice hotels. Her day will come.

13. Who's behavior disappointed you?
Mortgage lenders, Investment Banks, Brokers, anybody involved in the sub-prime mortgage mess. (No, we are not in any trouble with our home). I feel bad for all those who have lost their homes (they may also be at fault as well, but the above enabled them) because of the greed of others. Now, we are all feeling the pinch.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Student Loans, Bills, Sonic.

15. What did you get really excited about this year?
Putting our home up for sale in November. Even though it hasn't sold yet-it was an incredible leap of faith.

16. What song will remind you of 2007?
"Invincible" by Muse. Great song-slow with great melody and even better message. Really helps me out.

17. Compared to last year, are you: much happier, much nicer, or richer?
Nicer-I am really trying to let go of old baggage. It does no good to lug it around.

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Golfed

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Second-guessed myself and watch TV.

20. Did you fall in love this year?
I can't believe how lucky I am to be married to Barb. Watching her give birth to Mason this last year just made me say WOW! I can't believe she went through that and then was ready to make me dinner a couple hours later. I ove her more and more each day.

21. What was your favorite television program of 2007?
The Office and 30 Rock.

22.What was the best book you read this year?
"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and "I Am America, and So Can You" by Stephen Colbert-I really wish he would run for President. He'd be better than anyone else in D.C. and that includes Congress.

23. What was your greatest musical discovery this year?
Muse-a fusion of Radiohead, Black Sabbath, and Coldplay-all bands that I love. My cousin Matt also turned me onto "DragonForce"-all I can say is, THEY ROCK!

24.What did you want and get this year?
Another son.

25. What was the best movie you saw this year?
Transformers and I Am Legend.

26. What did you do for your birthday and how old did you turn?
35 and we went to Tepanyaki for Sushi. Ethan and Holly loved the fire cooker.

27. What would have made your year more satisfying?
A better job and a new home.

28. How would you describe your personal fashion statement this year?
Business at work, slob at home. Actually t-shirts and shorts.

29. What kept you sane this year?
My good friend Craig Roper-he really helps me keep things in perspective.

30. What celebrity did you fancy most this year?
Optimus Prime and Chuck Norris.

31. Who did you miss this year?
I never thought I'd say this-but I actually missed Liz. It was good to see her at Christmas. I am proud of her for taking such a bold step and moving to Colorado. It appears that her move has served her well.

32.Who were the best new people you met this year?
New service managers at work-we all seem to have a lot in common. Music, TV, movies, etc.

33. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned this year?
That I cannot and will not be perfect in this life. I must quit comparing myself to others. I just need to be the best Ryan I can be.

5 comments:

katie said...

I enjoyed reading this. I LOVED the Kite Runner. You need to read his other book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns." It'll make you appreciate women more.

lizzie said...

very good to read.

you miss me? i miss you guys too! i really need to see more of your kids. i can't believe how much i miss the cousins.

you quit biting your nails? holy crap!

you are paying your student loans now? holy crap!

who the crap is optimus prime?

and you really need to give yourself more credit! you have a beautiful family and i know you work hard...

Annie said...

Amen, give yourself a bit more credit! One thing we learned as children was not to appreciate ourselves. No discredit to mom and dad. They didn't learn it from their parents either! So, we all need to help each other!! Your little family is great! We love you!!! Thanks for writing this.

Raimi said...

This was fun to read Rayn! Your family is so cute & your ARE great@

Raimi

Raimi said...

Okay, I can spell. Sorry about that RYAN.

Raimi