Sunday, April 26, 2009

Walking to School

Ethan has been bugging me to walk him to school forever. It is a ways and I'm the type of person that I need to plan and outing like that so I told him last week that if the weather was good and we planned the day ahead of time we could do it. So last Wednesday we planned on walking to school. Ethan was up at 5:30 am so that he would be sure to wake me up in time. We got all ready and set off at 8:10 am to walk Ethan to school. Holly had to ride her bike and Mason wasn't too happy that he had to be in the stroller but we set off.
We made it half way there and I made my kids stop by the fountain in a park that is between our house and the school. I love the fountain and think it is a great place for pictures. To bad they roped it off so you can't get up to sit on the rocks. That would make some awesome pictures.
Anyway I've gotten off track here. We get all the way to the school and Ethan takes off without giving me a hug or anything just "Bye Mom". I guess he is just at that "too embarrassed to kiss his Mom" age.
Holly by this time was getting tired but I told her that if she could make it to the park we would stop for a bit and she and Mason could play. That got her there and they played but we also found a couple of ladies in our Ward that said that on Wednesday's a bunch of them get together and meet at the fountain so they can all walk together and pick up their kids from school and then they stop at the park on the way back so that all the Mom's can talk and the kids can all play together. Holly heard this and decided that we could go home make a picnic and then go walk to get Ethan and play with the other kids on the way back.
Being the wonderful Mom I am said "yes", not thinking that I wouldn't be in any shape to walk all that way again but we did it. We ate some of our picnic but the kids were having too much fun to stop and eat much. We finally got home and crashed! I got burned to a crisp because I was too busy making sure the kids had sun screen on I forgot about myself. Holly got a huge blister on the back of her heel and was so tired that I never want to walk Ethan to school again. I clocked it the next day and found that it is 1.2 miles one way to the school and Holly and I did that 4 times. So we walked a total of 4.8 miles between 8am and 12noon. It was Earth Day so I can say I did my part because I didn't drive my car the whole day.
Ethan had the gall to ask if we could walk the next day. I told him once I recover from the last time I will think about driving to the park and walking him from there but I will not walk to and from school with all three kids again. I'll think about it if it's just him and I, but we'll see.

3 comments:

Gramma Dori said...

You're a good mom Barb! Driving half way and walking the rest . . . now you're thinking!

lizzie said...

i love the blossoms and the bike picture! i am still waiting for blossoms here.

katie said...

I wish we lived closer to our elementary so that we could walk but not so. Although Erin did once. I'd probably like it for awhile and then be ready for the bus again.