Thursday, May 7, 2009

Trying to Get it Together

The past week has been trying, yeah that's the word. We have had some things come up that kind of hit us hard and made both Ryan and I ask, "why is this happening". Well after a much reflection, many long talks, and prayer we found that we were living with the attitude of what was going on in the world around us wasn't going to affect us. WRONG!!! We needed to adjust our outlook and our lives into the right perspective. To live in the now, not in the future, but still plan for what may come. Does that make sense?
So now we are in the process of making some needed changes to, not only our lives but our outlook. To make our lives more livable and happy, as well as be able to teach our children how best to live to become great people. So we are cutting back and cutting out those things that are not needed and start a few things to make us more self reliant. In so doing I have really seen how much our children really need these changes. Let's just say I never thought my kids were spoiled but once again I have been proven wrong. Ryan and I have also stood back and looked at each others strengths and weaknesses and rearranged some of our "assigned" tasks to help our family run more effectively. The kids and I have cleared a patch of ground so that we can plant a vegetable garden. They were so excited when they found out about that one. Ethan has been out there clearing the ground all by himself at times. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get something to grow and still be eatable.
We are also making it a point to set up a new bed time routine that includes not only family prayer, which we have already been doing but family scripture study. The kids have really liked this because it gives them time to talk and participate with both Mom and Dad together. I don't know how much they are retaining of actual scriptures but they are liking the attention. We are also trying to institute Family Home Evening. Just taking time to play and just be together as a family with no friends once a week. We are really trying to live the truth of "your family and your relationship with them is more important than anything else you can have".
The rest is just clearing out the crap both temporally and emotionally and getting organized. I know that this will take some time but it's just so overwhelming right now it's hard for me to wrap my head around things. I have had a lot of epiphanies this week, and we have learned a lot about each other. So we are working on it together as a family and that is the most important thing. I know that once we can get it together we will all benefit from it and be closer because of it. In a way trials rock! But only in a way, the rest suck.

1 comment:

Annie said...

that is great! you guys are great parents. i think your kids will only be better people in the long run because of changes you make. good luck with the garden! that is very ambitious. dan and planted some herbs is all. i'm not that daring yet! hang in there...our trials do teach us what the Lord wants us to learn:)