Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Men in My Life

Today is a very special day. Not only is it Father's Day but 13 years ago today I married the man that would become my best friend. We got off to a ruff start but it has only gotten better with time. We have grown together in so many ways and he has taught me how to be a better person. I've learned how to bite my tongue and to take the higher ground. To laugh at myself and at life. To stand firm on the things that really matter and to let go of the things that don't. He makes me what to become a better wife, mother, and friend. So thank you Ryan for your patients and love. I know the Lord loves and cares for me because he sent me you. A man that completes me and that He knew I would need to help me to become all that I could be. Happy Anniversary, honey, I love you forever!

It is also Father's Day and I want to just say that I have been blessed with a great Dad, Don. He and my Mom divorced when I was just 2 and so I never got the chance to have him around much while I was growing up but right around the time that I got married I got a second gift. The opportunity to get to know him better and have him in my life. Although we are still in the process of getting to know each other, this is what I've have found and admire about my Dad. He is easy to laugh, very kind and soft spoken. He is giving and loving and is a very hard worker. Too hard at times. He knows how to have fun and look at the good things in life. He has helped me in that respect. To look at the good when you are surrounded by the bad. I hope my brothers know just how lucky they are to have had him right there as they were growing up and that they appreciate all that he does for them now.
Love you Dad and I love having you in my life and that my children can have the opportunity to know and learn from you.

Last but not least is my Grandpa Cameron. He is the wise one who was and is a positive father figure in my life. He teaches by example in everything that he does. Works hard at honest work. Serves others and enjoys the wonders of nature all around us. Respects and learns the lessons of those that have gone on before. And most of all to have faith while in darkness, because there is always a light somewhere. I hope that I can be the kind of mother as he has been a father/grandfather.

I love all of the great men and I know that I wouldn't be the person I am today without them. I hope that they all know how much they mean to me.

3 comments:

Raimi said...

Very sweet tribute to those special men! YAY for wonderful fathers!

Dad said...

I wish I have the words to express how much I love you. I just don't what else to say but " I love you more than words or actions could ever express".

Thank you for being my daughter.

Love you
Dad

Gramma Dori said...

Barb, what a beautiful tribute! You are an amazing woman, wife and mother. Keep up the good work and congrats on 13 years. We're coming up on 32 next week. Where does the time go?