So the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics start tonight and I have found that with all the coverage that two things have happened to me at once. The pride I feel for my homeland has grown (if that were possible) and that I am getting home sick. I have been to Vancouver and love that city. If there was a city that I would think to be perfect it's Vancouver with it's mountains to the east and the ocean to the west; with Stanley Park and Water Street it just has a little of everything. But I am also missing Alberta, it is so beautiful there, as you can see in this picture that my very talented cousin Heather Palmer Ward took. And of course I miss my family because they are just the best! They are just cool to hang out with, so fun and accepting. I find myself wishing my kids could grow up around them; to have time to get to know them. We really don't see Ryan's family all that much because we do live 40 minutes from his parents, so I feel a little isolated at times. Besides lets face it, Ryan's family and I have not always been on the best of terms. I know that I am "different", and I'm Okay with that. It's one of the reason's I think Ryan married me because I wasn't really like his family. That doesn't make anyone better than the other just different, but it does make me want to be around my crazy family more because I'm just like them. Does that make any sense?Oh, just to let you know I will be staying Canadian for now. I looked into getting my US citizenship and it is twice as much $$ than just renewing my Green Card. Ryan is telling me "we still have a few months". I think he is going to try and talk me into finding the money somewhere to get my US citizenship but that would mean not going to Canada this summer and I am not willing to give up my trip for something I'm not for sure I'm ready to do yet. In the oath you take to become a US citizen you have to "renounce all ties and affiliations with other counties". To me that has a lot a meaning and maybe I'm taking it too literally but I feel it's a very serious statement. I'm trying to take it as such.
But right now I'm just very proud to be a Canadian so I hope everyone enjoys the games because I sure will. GO CANADA!
4 comments:
This makes us all sound like really bad people, and that Ryan doesn't even like his own family. I'm sorry that you feel isolated Barb but I think everyone feels that way one time or another. We only live ten minutes from my parents are rarely see them, but I understand that everyone is at a busy stage in life.
I didn't even know that we have not been on the, "best of terms". Certainly if I've done something to offend, then I need to take care of it. But that's never my intention, nor anyone on the Granquist side I think. I think my family, ALL of them are fabulous and I'm sure your family is just as great. The way you and Ryan talk about them all the time makes me think they are great people too.
I for one am happy that you are a part of our family! I put up with Ryan's antics for for 20+ years and now it's your turn. You are perfect for him, and he for you.
Barb: are you pregnant? Because you are acting very hormonal. We are both blessed with tremendous families and come from diverse backgrounds. It has been a struggle for us in some ways this past year-but I thank the Good Lord everyday I have you because there is no way I could survive. I know my family loves you-they just like to tease Canadians. At least you're not from Mexico. Can you imagine the torment? I am blessed to come from great parents and great sisters. I love your family as well. I am a better person forknowing them. Hang in there. I'm going back to listening to Ozzy snore.
i love the granquists, antics and all :-). i have always known that when i see ryan or jimmy, i will be teased for sure. if they didn't, i would know i had fallen from their good graces. embrace the family you have (yours or ryan's). we are all different & that is what makes life fun & interesting!
have a great week, barb. hope everyone stays healthy & that you get ryan back. being sick is no fun!
i love the granquists, antics and all :-). i have always known that when i see ryan or jimmy, i will be teased for sure. if they didn't, i would know i had fallen from their good graces. embrace the family you have (yours or ryan's). we are all different & that is what makes life fun & interesting!
have a great week, barb. hope everyone stays healthy & that you get ryan back. being sick is no fun!
Post a Comment