Sunday, September 14, 2008

All Grown Up

Okay, I know I have been a slacker when it comes to blogging lately but my goal is to be better. I was called to be the new Enrichment Leader in our new ward and yesterday was our big Super Saturday activity for the year. And of course the RS Presidency wanted to do an Emergency Preparedness Fair and it was a BIG job. I have been running around all over two counties all week trying to get everything for it and now I am just so very HAPPY that it is all over.

Anyway this past week my two boys and my little princess have just made me smile through all the stress. Last weekend Ryan was helping Ethan and his friend Patrick fix their bikes. Well Ethan's bike has been having problems with the training wheels and so Ryan told Ethan we just needed to take them off. Ethan would not even think about taking them off and the fight ensued. At the end of it we were coming in for dinner and Ryan called Ethan in with a "come in and eat Son", to which Ethan replayed "Don't call me that I'm NOT a child!" I started laughing right there. I asked him if he wasn't a child what he was and Ethan said quite forcefully that he was "all grown up!" Ryan and I just looked at each other and laughed. Ethan didn't like that at all.

So latter that night when I went down to check on the kids after they had fallen asleep, this pictures is what I found.I guess grown up boys tuck all their stuffed animals in with their own pillows. I just smiled and thought to my self how much more growing up he really had to do and how I really wanted him to enjoy it rather than worry about growing up so fast. But I guess I was the same way and now wish I had enjoyed my childhood more, so I want better for him. Like mother, like son I guess.

Well Ryan convinced Ethan that we should take his training wheels off and he should learn to ride a two wheeler. It didn't hurt that Patrick took his training wheels off to and was riding a two wheeler by the end of the next day or the fact that Ryan promised to get him a two wheeled scooter if he learned to ride his bike without the training wheels. So Ethan has been working on it all week. He has since been able to ride his bike about three peddle turns before he falls off. I'm sure that he will be riding it in no time and then Ryan will have to cough up that scooter.

With all the time that Ethan has been trying to learn to ride his bike, he has wanted us outside to watch him. He has not wanted any help but just someone to watch his accomplishments. So I have been taking Mason outside to watch. I wasn't too sure how Mason would do with this because before this week he hasn't liked the feel of grass on his feet or any part of his bare legs. But this week his curiosity about things outside has gotten the better of him and my little baby is going out on his own more and more. Mason took off though the grass after a ball, explored his Dad's shed and tried his hand at the slide. By the end of the evening and it was time to go inside he was so dirty! As you can see from the last picture of his feet and bum. But he had such a great time he has wanted to be outside every time the other kids are out. I think I'm going to be spending every waking moment outside between now and when the snow flies just to keep Mason happy.

And finely I can't not mention the sight I saw last night walking into the bathroom after I finished getting Mason out of the tub.

Ethan and Ryan had gone to the Utah vs. Utah State football game so it was just me and the other two kids.
Holly just made me laugh and brought a bright ending to my stressful week.

Oh the joys of childhood. I'm so blessed to be able to experience them again through the eyes of my children. So take the time to watch a child at play this week and enjoy a second childhood. It really helps to put life in perspective. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

katie said...

Cute and Funny kids Barb. ( and ryan).

lizzie said...

great post. i love the pictures!