Sunday, September 28, 2008

Too Fast

Ethan and I always talk about his day on the way home from school and he has made a lot of new friends.
Last week we had a conversation about girls when he said that he had changed girl friends. I asked him if he kissed any of them and he said, "NO! Mom that is gross!". So I explained to him that if he doesn't kiss them then he could have lots of girl friends, because they where friends that where girls. He liked that idea.
Then he was very happy because he had been invited to go to one of his friends, that happened to be a girl, birthday party this Saturday. Well he had so much fun and was so happy to get to go to a party without his sister. I guess that made him feel all grown up.
When I went to go get him from the party he didn't want to leave because he said that his girl friend Brooklyn was going to come back and if he wasn't there she would be very mad. I told him that he could blame it on his mean Mom and left it at that. But on the way home I got the feeling that Brooklyn was a little more than a friend. Ryan and I have decided not to make too much of a big deal about girls with Ethan because he gets really embarrassed and we want to keep an open dialog with him about that kind of stuff.
I asked him a few more questions about Brooklyn and you could tell he REALLY likes this girl. I asked him if he kissed her and of course he said, NO! But today Ryan came down stairs to check on Ethan and Holly after our "quiet time" we have every Sunday afternoon and found Ethan drawing a picture and writing a note to Brooklyn.
Can you believe it, MY little boy writing his very first love note!!!! He so carefully placed it in an envelop and made sure to put in in his back pack so he wouldn't forget to take it to school to give it to her. I know you are smiling, because I am!
Than tonight after dinner Ethan went out to play with his friend Patrick. Well Ryan bugs Patrick about kissing girls all the time and I guess Ethan told Patrick about Brooklyn and told him that he had kissed her! Patrick came right up to the door to "tell on" Ethan to his his Dad in hopes that Ryan would tease Ethan. I guess I didn't really give him what he wanted because when I answered the door I told Patrick that Ryan and I knew all about Brooklyn. That we weren't going to tease him about her and that he could tell us anything about it. Ethan was hiding, all embarrassed and then when he heard what I had said, came out much relieved, smiling and said "See Patrick - No Big Deal, so stop bugging me!"
I really hope that gave me some points with Ethan and that he won't be so embarrassed to talk to me. But I am kind of freaking out a little bit. "Oh my Gosh! MY little Boy is kissing girls!!" All to soon we will have to have "the talk" with him. I don't know if I'm up for this...but I'm just very happy that it will be Ryan that has to have the first "talk" with one of our kids.
But in the mean time, I'm still smiling...

5 comments:

katie said...

What a funny kid. I would sooooo love to be a fly on the wall in my girls' classrooms to see who they interact with and talk to.

Jeanna said...

The talk oh no. How fast they grow up I don't want Isaac to! Love notes! CUTE!

Jeanna said...

The talk oh no. How fast they grow up I don't want Isaac to! Love notes! CUTE!

Mari said...

Ethan is so cute--love notes!
I have to say though, I've never had the kissing problem w/my girls yet. I don't know if I could handle it as well as you have/did. You are a great mom, I'd probably freak out.

lizzie said...

mikey is not into that at all. thank goodness! good luck with all that.