Friday, November 14, 2008

What a Difference a Ryan Makes

So as promised I will divulge what I did for Ryan for his off site"retreat". His boss Deanne, called me the last day Ryan was in Driggs and told me that on their off site they were going to have the theme of "Differences" as in what a difference each person makes. She wanted to do a presentation on not just the difference they make at work but the difference they make in their own homes. So she asked me to write something up tell everyone how Ryan makes a difference in his home life.

Well Ryan came home the next day and I didn't have a chance to write it until he went back to work a week latter as he took the week of Halloween off. That Monday I sat down and wrote this out and even sent pictures, although Ryan says they didn't use the pictures which he was happy for. So here is what I wrote...

Ryan influence is everywhere in his family life and the differences he makes is felt by all he comes in contact with.
Ethan, Ryan's eldest son says that "He has the best Dad because he always plays with him". (See picture)
Holly, Ryan's only daughter says that "He is the best Dad because he is always there to keep bad dreams away when she gets scared at night". Ryan always lets her cuddle up to him and makes her feel safe and warm. (See picture)Mason, Ryan's youngest son is only 1 but Ryan is always on the floor with him playing with him and encouraging him to walk and play with the big kids.
You see, Ryan is a big kid at heart. I believe that makes the greatest Dad. He just understands the kids so much better than others, because he is one of them. Even the neighbourhood kids come over just to play with Ryan.
Ryan lets his kids be kids and tells them not to be is such a big hurry to grow up because being a kids is the best time in life, and there will always be time for grown up things latter.
At the same time he teaches his kids to be respectful and to use good manners in word and deed. You really don't see that too much anymore, kids respecting their elders, and in our house he insists upon it.
Ryan also encourages his kids to do what they love and to work hard for what they get. To take their time and do things right the first time. To get an education and to always ask questions so that they can learn about the world around them. And most of all if they don't know something go look it up and learn about it. Ethan has already asked is Dad about "what does...mean?". Ryan will have Ethan bring him the dictionary and they will look it up together. That is the kind of GREAT Dad Ryan is.
All of these things together and the difference Ryan is making in these kids lives will carry with them throughout their own lives so that they can make a difference in turn.
As for me, his wonderful wife, he is my calming force. I have a short fuse and he is always the one to give me a hug and time outs when they are needed most. He listens to me when I need it and let's me do things my way when needed as well. He is my rock and my foundation. I don't know what I would be without him.
He works so hard and can't "just do nothing" on the week ends. I have never had to give him a "honey do" list because he is the first to see when something needs to be done and tries to do it as soon as possible.
He has never raised his voice to me and shows me respect and love in just the way he treats me. The way that a husband should treat his wife. I love this about him because by being this kind of man he shows his sons how to treat women and shows his daughter how she should except to be treated.
Ryan is a wonderful example to all around him and is always there to give support to anyone who needs it including friends and neighbours. He always takes the high road when he is treated unfairly and gives everyone the benefit of the doubt in their motives. And most of all he helps me do the same.
Ryan is a wonderful man who is loved more than he will ever know and his influence and example will be felt through the ages by those who's lives he has touched.

3 comments:

katie said...

Very nice Barb. Hopefully he liked hearing all of that. I think anyone would.

lizzie said...

very nice. and i loved the pictures!

mickey said...

Once again, it's been nice to learn so much about Ryan. He really is funny.