Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We got Snow!

We now have snow! I was starting to get worried that we wouldn't have snow for Christmas because it was 40 F outside last week and our grass was still green. There is nothing more depressing than a green Christmas. But we got our wish and the snow came. That is when we realized that Ethan really wasn't equipped for recess in the snow. We were hoping to get through Christmas but...this morning when I woke up it was really cold out. Okay not REALLY cold, but cold for Utah. It was 18 F out this morning and Ethan didn't have a good winter coat, because he hasn't really need one before. So I sent him to school with his "hoodie" on and his fleece coat on over top. We found him some old mittens that were too small but would get him through the day because he had lost his other gloves.
On my way out the door I told Ryan I was taking the kids to school and that I would be stopping at Walmart to get Ethan and Holly new winter coats, and Ethan some new winter boots and gloves. Holly had gotten her "FuFa" hat and gloves from earlier this year and she can fit into Ethan's old boots. They are blue, not pink but who cares what color they are, right?
So I got to Walmart dreading the prospect of having to buy new winter gear right before Christmas but I couldn't let Ethan freeze. So I set out looking.
First I found the boots and thought "maybe" if they had some pink boots for Holly at a descent price I might get her some new ones. Well they were $30!!! No way was I going to buy boots for that price she could ware the blue ones. I was trying to find something better for Ethan that wouldn't cause me sticker shock and found a pair for $15 and they were as good as the $30 ones, go figure. Then I found coats for both of them on clearance and some good ski gloves for Ethan at a good price. So I felt better not having to break the bank and was able to get my kids in some warm clothes for the snow.
When I picked them up from school they were all excited. The first thing they did when they got home was try them on and then had to go right outside. Now it has been all I could do to keep them inside long enough to eat and do homework! They are making good use of the sled that Auntie Annie and Uncle Dan gave us for Christmas last year.
I can't tell you how much happier we are in this new house with a yard that my kids can enjoy in summer and now winter. They love the snow and are praying for more, so be prepared for more of the white stuff.

2 comments:

Raimi said...

All I have ever had is a green Christmas. Love the snow pics. of your kiddos. very cute! i hope you get your white Christmas!

Annie said...

they look nice and warm!!! i think we all are in for more snow this next week! enjoy it...