I have never understood why anyone would want to fill large areas of their yard with lava rock. When we bought this house the front flower bed, island in front and on the side of our house was filled with lava rock. We thought "oh, no big deal we will just take that out and plant grass and flowers". Ryan took out the stuff in the flower bed a couple of months after we moved in. That just about killed him because moving lava rock is really hard work and for someone who is not used to manual labour on a daily basis, my self included that is overwhelming.We put off taking out the rock from the islands until this summer. The phrase, "time dims" takes on new meaning when it comes to this kind of work. One island is a big enough job but both is enormous! So I got smart and listed all the lava rock on KSL.com's classifieds. If anyone is willing to load it they can have it free of charge. It's only been listed for two hours and has had 41 hits, but no calls yet. I really hope it goes quick. I hate the stuff.
Once it is all gone we are going to get a couple of tons of top soil and then lay out grass seed. With any luck we should have our yard looking much better by the end of the summer.
So if you or anyone you know whats FREE lava rock. Come and get it...it's all yours!
2 comments:
We just FILLED all of our flower beds with bark!! I hate weeding . . . especially when there is more cat poop (from the neighbors' cats) than there is dirt!
Way to go Barb! I agree, get rid of the stuff. We put down red rock last summer and are going to take it all out this summer because we don't even like it. We're going back to bark again. Although it fades every summer and has to be raked out and replaced every year, it looks so much better than anything else we've tried and believe me . . . we've tried it all! Have fun though, that's really what summer's all about, do it as a family and have a blast!
Post a Comment