Friday, March 26, 2010

The Little Things in Life

There has been a lot going on lately in our lives. Things that we are connected to but don't have to deal with continuously, but still affect us. Those things have made me stop and slow down for once and look around me. I have a habit of getting so wrapped up with my own life, my own little world that I forget the rest of the world for the most part, which is good...and bad.
Good because it helps me to block out all the bad in the world around me, with all the earthquakes, eruptions, murder and may-ham. I just can't watch the news anymore because it just makes me feel so depressed, scared and unsettled, but most of all out of control. I just can't fathom how people in government are so full of themselves that they can't even listen to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint and I have my moments but, come on people you are working for the good of others here.
The bad thing about getting caught up in my own little world is that I tend to focus too much on what I haven't done in my life. The person that I want to be and fail miserably at, the education I was going to get, etc.  I can't see what I truly have and find joy in the little things of life that I have all around me. But that has changed, at least for now, as I know I will start the cycle all over again no doubt but for now I will try to learn this lesson and be a little better than I was.
The first thing is that my father-in-law has been in Vancouver, BC for the Winter Olympics. With him there it has just brought into my mind how great it is to be a Canadian.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to live in the U.S. It is a wonderful country and I am so grateful for the freedoms that it provides. I just am getting so sick and tried of the politics. I hate politics. I don't talk politics because I always end up in a no win situation. It is not something I even talk to my husband about because we never can see things from each others point of view.  Please no comments about Canada, because I refuse to acknowledge them. As many things in life, it is not black and white, good or bad, better or best, just different.  
The second thing that has happened is that my sister-in-law Liz had her baby the first part of the month. She had some complications with her delivery and the baby has been in the NICU for three weeks now. I feel so bad for them and what they are going through. My heart goes out to them and I am just grateful that I have 3 health and happy children that have never had any big medical problems (knock on wood).
Finally, my husbands great uncle Dick just passed away not too long ago. Dick was and is a wonderful man. Every time I saw him he was smiling. You could tell he loved his family terribly and I always felt accepted by him as part of it. I am very blessed to have met and known a man such as he. My heart and prayers continue to go out to him and his family.
So I have looked around and seen how truly blessed I am. I have three wonderful children that drive me crazy because of how strong willed they are, but I am so happy that they are. With that hardheadedness comes the ability to stand up for what is right. They each have great personalities and they make me smile everyday.
I have a wonderful husband who I love more than life. He is a huge dork, but he makes me laugh continually. He is a big kid but that makes him the best kind of father to my children. He sells himself short all the time but I see the character and goodness that is within him. The lessons of "how to be" that he is passing down to our children by his example.  I am so blessed to call myself his wife. I have become a better person because of him.
So do yourself a favor take the time to turn on some music and dance with a child. It is so freeing and so worth the time. It will make your day so much better because I know it has made mine.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Gramma Dori said...

Beautifully put Barb! You are such a sweet example to all of us! Hang in there, this too shall pass!