Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Day for all kinds of Mother's

Happy Mother's Day!  I have been influenced by so many wonderful women in my life and I am the person I am because of the lessons I learned from them.  So indulge me for a minute while I pay tribute.
First and foremost my mother, Apryl.   She of course has been the most influential person in my life.  She taught me how to me strong in the face of adversity, she taught me how to work hard and be responsible, she taught me how to be independent and most of all she taught me to have faith. She always has had faith that something bigger than ourselves was always in charge and that if we do our part things will work out the way they are meant to.  I am very proud to be the daughter of such a strong women.
My grandma Geniel of whom I named my daughter after. She is another women that has taught me so very much.  She help me develop a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and that there is is strength in family.  She was a stay at home mom who from my point of view was always happy  with her life.  She raised 7 children in a little 4 bedroom, 1 bath home that I always felt was filled with love, warmth and fun.  I have only happy and loving memories of my time spent in her home.  I love her so very much and it breaks my heart to see the toll that time has taken on her.   I'm sad to realize that she will not be with us for much longer in this life but know she will be in the next.  She and my grandpa have been the example of how I want to be in so many aspects of my life.  I love them for that and will for eternity.
Then there are so many others that have been examples and influenced my life they're almost too many to name but I will try.  To all of my Mom's sisters - you have each shown me great love and acceptance.  You have treated me like a sister not a niece and I thank you for that.  Dori, you are one of the kindest people I know.  Cindy, you are the example of style and grace.  Pam, you know your mind and stand up for what you believe in.  Julie, you are a kindred spirit who works so hard and doesn't take enough time for herself.  And Cherri...my big sister who took me under your wing while we were little and who is the kind of mother I want to be.  Who takes that time to silly dance with your kids before bed, who loves to laugh and who tries to look for the best in others.  I love you all for the wonderful mothers, wives, sisters and friends that you are.
I have countless cousins who are beautiful, talented and kind.  I have even more cousins who married wonderful women who are just as awesome.  I also have a very kind and gentle sister-in-law Ashley who brings balance to my brother Ryan's life.  I have other sister-in-laws who unfortunately I don't know very well and others I have never met but hope to.
My Dad has 3 sisters, 2 of whom against all odds has kept in contact with me and shown me great love and kindness.  Florance, who has passed away so many years ago but I still remember and miss her birthday calls to me each year.  She would sing Happy Birthday at the top of her lungs, although she couldn't sing at all, but I still loved it.  Joan, who has such a big heart and love of animals.  She taught me a great lesson once in my rebellious teenage years to sick to the principles of my faith as I had made a commitment and needed to live up to.  I also have to thank my Dad's wife Melody, who has encouraged my father to keep me in his life.  I know without your encouragement and support I, or my children would have the privilege of knowing what an wonderful man my father is.   I hope you all know that I feel so blessed to have been born to such a wonderful family.
I have also been lucky enough to have married into just as wonderful of a family.  My mother-in-law Rhonda is kind and tolerant (you would have to be to put up with all the teasing she does).  Who has showed me that it's okay to have interests away from your husband and that you can take some time for yourself and still be a good mother.  I have 3 great sister-in-laws as well; Liz who is stronger than she thinks she is and is so fun loving, which you can tell by singing / dancing even though she knows she can't do either very well.  Katie, much like my Aunt Pam, knows her mind and stands up for what she thinks is right.  Annie is the little sister that seems to be the glue that keeps everyone together. Ryan also has wonderful aunts and countless cousins who are amazing women as well.  Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your family. 
Finally, my best friend in high school, Angie.  Although we have grown apart over the last 14 years she helped me to find myself under a mountain of baggage.  She showed me that I am in control of my life and that I was a victim only if I allowed myself to be.  That it was Okay to stand up to anyone, even those closest to me and say NO - I'm better than the way you are treating me.  She helped me turn the corner in my life, until I met my husband who helped me change the lane I was driving in.   There have also been too many friends over the years who have pulled me up when I was down (you know who you are).  Thank you for being my friend.
Thank you all for your examples and for your strength.  Happy Mothers Day!

4 comments:

Gramma Dori said...

What a beautiful tribute Barb! You are truly an amazing wife, mother, sister, niece and friend. Happy Mother's Day sweetie.

Annie said...

we are indeed lucky to have so many wonderful women around us! i hope you had a great day. happy mother's day barb!

katie said...

Great post Barb....Happy ( late ) mothers day to you.

Restorative Living said...

What a great tribute to all the wonderful women in your life. Happy (very late) Mother's Day!