Now that the kids are back at school and Ryan is back at work I have some time to sit and write about the holidays.Ryan was off of work on vacation as soon as the bank closed on the afternoon of Christmas Eve till today, so we have had him home to enjoy for almost 2 weeks. The kids like having him around, although they don't like having to watch so much football but Ryan was a good sport and shared the TV which made my life a lot easier.
Christmas Eve was quiet night with just us at home. We made breakfast for dinner (a first for us on Christmas Eve) and then opened one gift each. P.J.'s all around, even for Ryan and I. After getting the kids through the tub and in their new P.J.'s we sat down and read the Christmas Story. I found a board book at Deseret Book that put the Christmas story in a language the kids could understand. They always have too many questions about what this or that word means when we read right out of the bible. So the book was a great hit, it even covered the Book of Mormon's side of the Christmas Story which was great.
We then got Santa's treats all ready, a Coke Classic (which Ryan said was Santa's favorite) and a cookie w/ carrots for the reindeer. There was a little bit of an upset as I put the Coke in Santa's mug and didn't keep it in the glass bottle. Ryan was sure that Santa would prefer in be kept in the bottle while the kids and I was sure that we needed to use the mug, after all Santa is the only one to drink out of it. Oh well it's only once a year and "Santa" should be happy with the Coke or maybe next year he will get milk. ;)
The kids all went to sleep really well for it being Christmas and all but then again the Melatonin that I put in their chocolate milk did help a little. Now before anyone get all up set, Melatonin is natural and won't hurt anybody. I don't feel guilty about it as they needed their sleep and I needed my sanity. So it all good.

Christmas morning dawned with Ryan and I wakened by all three kids laughing and singing while jumping on Ethan's bed. They couldn't get up stairs as we had put the baby gate across the stairs. They knew not to come up until we came and got them. This was around 8 a.m not too bad for a Christmas morning. Ryan tried to get the video camera going but the tape he put in ended before it even started. So the only video we got was a few minutes on my camera that has a video mode on it. This is the first Christmas since Ethan was born that we don't have the whole morning on tape. Sad I know. Next year I will make sure we have tape and everything is ready to go, rather than just assuming that Ryan has it all done.
The kids were all excited. Ethan got his Imaginex Bat Cave he had asked Santa for as well as a Diji from Mom & Dad. Holly got a trunk full of Fairy dress-up stuff from Santa and the Ikea flower night light she wanted along with a couple of other flower wall hanging to finally finish her room from Mom & Dad. Mason got his very own drum set from Santa and a frog potty w/pull-ups from Mom & Dad. Do you think I want him out of diapers? Mason was and is so cute playing his drums, here is a video clip of him playing them:
After we opened gifts and had some time to unwind we started getting ready to head down to Midvale to Ryan's parents place. But before we left we were able to talk to my Dad for a bit as well as my little brother Scot. We didn't get time to call my Mom, besides the kids like to talk to her via web-cam. So we were going to try her when we got back.
Once in Midvale the kids played while the adults opened their gifts, which was nice. We were able to just visit and have a good time without all the craziness. The kids came in latter. We got both of Ryan's parents "Suggies", you know the blanket with sleeves. Rhonda is always cold and Jim has lost so much weight this past year we though he might be feeling the cold a little more than last winter. Of course Rhonda's had a book light to go with it for her long hours of reading. They seemed to like them, I hope they did. We received a very cute picture type frame from Ryan's sister Liz. It is very cool and even more so because she made it. Ryan's sister Annie and her husband Dan had our names for Christmas and received some fun block letters spelling out "family", which were also homemade. I love homemade gifts, can I just say. We also received many other fun things from Ryan's parents. The kids received a little "Webkinz" along with a gift certificate to Target from Ryan's parents as well which was a huge hit! Ethan and Holly love "Webkinz" and I liked the fact that Ethan didn't get any more Legos that he got for his birthday. At least with a gift certificate I can steer him clear from the evils of Legos.
Ryan's Grandma Naomi and his Aunt Kathy came over for dinner of Mexican Salads for dinner. You know with the yummy rice, sweet pork, etc. So very Good!!! I have to say that it was the most relaxing, fun and enjoyable Christmas we have had with Ryan's family, even Grandma Naomi seemed to be in a good mood. It was just nice, not too much craziness, everyone getting along, just nice.
We headed home after much fun eating and Merry Christmas' all around. Once home tried to get my Mom on the web-cam before the kids went to bed but couldn't get her to answer. Sorry Mom but we tried for almost 45 minutes. The kids had gathered all of their favorite gifts together to show her but oh well no luck. We should have set up a time with her but we will know for next time.
The week after Christmas was just fun and laid back. My Dad had very generously sent us some Christmas money so Monday morning Ryan took all the kids to spend their gift certificates and money on even more toys. Ethan completed his Batman Cave with the Joker van, Mr. Freeze and the Bat Copter. Holly got a play mixer w/bowl, play food and a Little People Fairy Tree house. Can you tell she likes fairies? And Mason spent his money on a Little People Garage. He loves to put the cars at the top and watch them go down the ramp over and over again. They each got other little things but they all had a great time shopping with Dad and playing with all the fun new toys. Thanks again Dad, Jim & Rhonda for the spending money.Monday afternoon I had to go back in for another shot in my back. It didn't hurt as much as the last time but I sure don't like the pain that I go through after the fact. I will only have to go back in once more and then hopefully I will be done. If not I will have to go in and be put under to have it taken care of. So here is to hoping.
For New Years we went over to our good friends the Ropers; hung out, watched the new Star Trek Movie and enjoyed lots of snacks. The kids got to pop poppers and make noise at 11 pm before going home. Thanks Jen & Craig from having us over it was really fun.
Once we got home, got the kids ready for bed and gave them their "New Years" hats, etc., Ryan
took them outside at midnight to light off fireworks. Ethan & Holly thought that was the coolest thing ever. Mason wanted to be outside but was too cold and watched from the window. After the kids didn't want to go to bed, they didn't want to miss any of the "Happy New Year". They just didn't understand that, that was it. Holly is still asking about the "Happy New Year", so I guess that my explanation isn't the best. How do you explain it to kids in a way that they understand? I guess I figure it out, I'll just have to keep trying.All in all we had a great holiday and it was a little sad to have it end, but we now have a great new year to look ahead too. I hope that everyone had as great of a holiday season as we did and that we all have an even better new year. Just think...a whole new adventure awaits!
1 comment:
I agree, Christmas was great this year. Gotta love the drums! Glad they're at your house!
Post a Comment