I was reading the Deseret News the other day and came across an article entitled, "Take time to fulfill your desires" by Connie Sokol. It was a really great article but there was part of it that stuck out to me. It said: "As we face our fears, ways come to light of how to develop our dream and people are put in our path at just the right time... to propel us to know and be more. Such a life-giving feeling is a byproduct we all experience from attempting to do something from the soul. As we expand whatever we offer, happiness and energy are infused back into our lives, that rejuvenating oil that greases the daily grind.
What's your soul's desire? What do you need to let go of to make room for?"
What hit me was the part about "rejuvenating oil". I've been struggling this past year. I've found my self "surviving" rather than "living" and not liking it. I've been lacking that rejuvenating oil that greases the daily grind in my life. So as it is the season for making resolutions I've decided to make mine to find my rejuvenating oil. I have no idea what that may be but I think the journey might be just as fun and the destination. Just as I was thinking all of this, someone was put in my path or rather something was delivered in the mail, at just the right time. The Davis Adult & Community Education filer that comes out 4 times a year. As I was looking through it I thought maybe I should take a class on something that peeks my interest, to help me find a passion I can rejuvenate myself with.
This is a scary thing for me. It means coming out of my comfort zone. Relinquishing some control on some of the responsibilities in my life. Which in and of it self is a growing experience. So I went the rounds with myself...trying not to let my fears talk me out of it. I thought "we don't have the money right now" and then I remembered I haven't spent all of the money my Dad sent me for Christmas, which by the way is just enough for the class I have my eye on. I talked to Ryan and he was VERY supportive of me taking the class. It is just for 2 hours, once a week for 6 weeks and I think he can see how much I really need to do something like this. Because if I'm happy everyone is happier. I felt like I was being smacked in the face, with "this is an opportunity, TAKE IT."
So today I take the plunge and make the call to register for my class. I'm taking Basic Digital Photography. You see I find myself being so jealous of my cousin Heather, who just happens to be a professional photographer, not because of her profession but because she has such beautiful pictures of her kids. I don't want to become a photographer but just want to be able to take some great pictures of my kids to cherish into the future without having to go broke paying someone else to do it for me. Did any of that make sense?
Anyway if nothing else I will have an outlet for some pint up creative energy and maybe I will take another class next time around, like maybe pottery or something. Just something to help me find a new part of myself that has been hiding.
So that's it, my New Years resolution, to take the time and energy to develop me. So wish me luck and I challenge everyone to take on the same resolution. Take some time to develop what the good Lord gave you, it will be a worthwhile investment.
4 comments:
Way to go Barb! I think it's great to take some time to better yourself, if not to just make yourself feel better. And to not have guilt about it. I've learned that if I'm happy, my whole house is a lot happier. Looking forward to seeing what you learn at your class!
that is fantastic! best of luck. and i, too, look forward to seeing what you learn:)
yes, christmas was great. it's nice we can all be together. maybe one day we can talk mom and dad into adding on a bigger family room, or just moving!!! but, it still was great.
good for you! i am jealous. but since we have the same camera....maybe you could give me some pointers? have fun!!!
good for you! i am jealous. but since we have the same camera....maybe you could give me some pointers? have fun!!!
Post a Comment